Friday, May 20, 2011

Discussion #1 with a not so helpful operator

            VS.
This is a transcript of my first interaction with Lowes.  I was prepared for it not to go well, but this was a little crazy.  I realize now that I didn't get this associate's name.  Oops.  I'll do better next time. 

Operator:  Good evening, Lowes of Plainfield, how can I help you?

Me:  I'd like to speak with your store manager, Rick Brien, please.

Operator:  I'm sorry he's left for the evening.  Can I help you.

Me:  Do you know if he will be in this weekend?  I'd like to set up an appointment to speak with him.

Operator:  I imagine he'll be in, but I don't have access to his schedule.

Me Thinking:  Really?  When I worked for Wolohan Lumber in college we all knew what manager was on duty for the weekend...and if there was any question...it was posted on the wall behind the service desk.

Me:  Well, I'd really like to talk with him.  What do you suggest would be the best way to go about this?

Operator:  I can take your name and number and he can call you.

Me:  Sure, My name is Wendy Baty he can reach me at 616.984......

Operator:  And can I tell him what this is in regards to?

Me:  Sure.  We purchased several appliances for the new home we built in 2006 and 3 out of 4 are not working now.

Operator:  Oooo...did you purchase any extended warranties on your appliances?

Me:  No, ma'am.  We did not. Would you expect that you would an extended warranty on a top of the line appliance that's 5 years new?

Operator:  Well, I can tell you that from my experience that without an extended warranty you're pretty much out of luck.  My mom bought one of those fancy side by side refrigerators with the french doors a few years ago and it took a dump on her this week.  We didn't have an extended warranty so we had to bite the bullet and buy a new one.

Me:  Well, unfortunately that's just not going to be acceptable.  We'll take this all the way to the corporate office if we need to.

Operator:  Good luck with that.

Click.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment